How to Make a Blue Lagoon Cocktail
This lightly sweet and easy to sip cocktail is just what you want on a hot summer day. Try this Blue Lagoon recipe and I’m confident you’ll make this a regular.
Ahhh…. sunshine season. Can you feel it? It’s hot, you’re dipping your feet into some cool water. The smell of chlorine and sunscreen. A drink in your hand. Glorious.
This cocktail recipe is one I have been wanting to make for a long time. I tried another recipe first and then immediately knew how I wanted to change it.
Now, I’m not one to drink excessively, but I do enjoy a slight buzz. I don’t like getting to the end of a cocktail and wondering if there was even anything good in it. However, I also don’t want a fruity drink like this to be so strong that it doesn’t taste refreshing.
Try this recipe for the classic Blue Lagoon and let me know what you think.
*Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This cheerfully blue liqueur just screams summer vacation. It’s light orange flavor is a beautiful accent to so many cocktail recipes. The blue color is bold and definitely makes a drink stand out.
Absolut vodka is a great choice. It’s smooth and not outrageously expensive. The Absolute Citron has a light citrus flavor that I absolutely love.
I love the Simply brand of lemonade because it’s made with real lemon juice, not just a bunch of concentrate or artificial flavors.
How to Make a Blue Lagoon
There’s a few supplies that will make this job a bit easier. These are essential for a home bar.
- A SALT/SUGAR RIMMING DISH – makes it easy to store salt or sugar just for rimming cocktail glasses.
- A COCKTAIL SHAKER – this is important if you make cocktails even on a semi-regular basis.
- MEASURING SHOT GLASSES – these are my favorite for measuring liquor, simple syrup, agave and lots of other liquids I use for cocktails.
- MY FAVORITE GLASSES – perfect for cocktails, juice, water, etc. Versatile and stackable!
- COCKTAIL PICKS – for garnishes that you can stack and snack.
This cocktail is super easy. You’ll spend more time rimming the glass with sugar and cutting an orange for the garnish. That’s totally optional of course.
Slice an orange and then cut a slit from the middle to the edge. Then cut a slit in the bottom of a Maraschino cherry. Set those aside.
Fill a small plate with sugar. Run the cut end of the orange around the rim of the glass and then dip the glass in the sugar. Fill the glass with ice and set it aside.
Fill a cocktail shaker about halfway with ice and then add the vodka, blue curaçao and lemonade. Shake well and then poor into the glass. Add the garnishes to the rim and enjoy!
Blue Lagoon Cocktail
- Cocktail shaker
- 1.5 ounces Absolut Citron
- 1 ounce blue curaçao
- 3 ounces lemonade
- 1 Maraschino cherry - for garnish
- 1 mandarin orange slice - for garnish
- 3 tbsp white sugar - for rim of glass
- Slice an orange for garnish and cut a slit from the middle to one side. Set aside.
- Cut a slit in the bottom of a maraschino cherry and set aside.
- Poor the sugar onto a small plate and wiggle the plate around to spread the sugar out.
- Take the cut side of the rest of the orange and run it around the rim of the glass.
- Gently dip the glass into the sugar.
- Add ice to the glass.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Add vodka, blue curaçao and lemonade to cocktail shaker. Place lid on and shake well for a few seconds.
- Poor into glass and garnish the rim of the glass with the orange slice and cherry.
You may also like: